Both he and Cleo were Tuxedo kitties. He more white than her.
Tony was aloof, he didn’t sleep with me often or sit on my lap often, but when he did it was very special.
He was very protective over his family though. He and Cleo both would stand up and put their front paws on the edge of the bassinett when both girls were little and check on the baby. If the baby was stirring and I wasn’t in the room, he’d come get me and tell me “she’s up”.
One day, my sweet guy plopped himself down on the window sill, the window was open and the screen popped out.
Another time a babysitter let him out. Tony and Cleo were apartment kitties, they didn’t go outside. Oh my goodness, I was devastated. He was gone for days. We looked and walked everywhere, calling, blocks around. Couldn’t find him. It was summer, I’d leave the front door opne during the day in case he came home. Cleo wouldn’t leave the apartment but for once she heard a “mow” that might be Tony and she ran out, down the stairs, around the corner and got scared. There was no Tony, but I was right behind her so she was safely back in her apartment quickly. I slept with the window open on the sofa and one night, late, I heard his familiar “mow”. I went tearing outside and there he was on the wrong stairwell calling to me. He was smelly and sticky and messy and sore and ever so glad to be home. I have no idea where he’d been or what happened to him, but he never strayed far again.
Poor baby had bladder crystals, I had no idea that was even possible then. I’d seen him in the boxes a lot, but didn’t realize he wasn’t going. Then one Saturday afternoon he flopped down in front of me and I realized he looked bigger than he should and his white fur was yellow, like urine. Off to the ER he went, me with no money, but $1200 or so later, he was home and fine. I’m so thankful he was healed and I got so many more years with him.
He got so old, blind and skinny, but one day he heard his girl crying out front, she’d fallen off of her bike and he, Tony, blind as a bat, made his way out front to check on her. He lived a long happy 18 years with us, we lost our sweet boy to kidney failure.
Like Cleo, sweet Tony is in my heart and thoughts still.
3 comments:
I know these stories are just for you but I had to say .. WOW, what a Cat !!!
Nice story.
Thank you for sharing with us!
:)
I am loving your stories! Cleo and Tony were pretty neat kitties!
Post a Comment