The next day, another guy, same question? What the heck?
So I started doing some research and what do you know... there is a good cinnamon and a not so good cinnamon.
The not so good one is from the Cassia tree, (grown in China, Indonesia and Vietnam) while it is a tree in the cinnamon family it has higher levels of coumarin in it than real cinnamon and can be toxic and cause liver troubles.
The real cinnamon comes from Ceylon (Sri Lanka). It's coumarin content is minimal and SO much better for us.
The things we learn. So, if you can find it, Ceylon cinnamon is the best choice. I understand it's difficult to come by here in the US, because, well, frankly, Cassia cinnamon is cheap.
Check out this site for more information. http://www.ceylon-cinnamon.com/Identify-Cinnamon.htm
5 comments:
Thanks for the info ...
I suppose the stuff in the grocery store is the bad stuff.
Like if you just use a teeny bit here and there is that a problem? What about the stuff they use in cereal?
OMG there is just too much to worry about!!! I bet your hear about a lot of stuff at work!
YIKES!!
Yep the stuff in the store is the fake stuff. No, a little wont harm you. My concern is that diabetics now use cinnamon for blood sugar control (and it works) but in taking larger than eating doses for long periods of time, now we'll see a rice in liver troubles.
I thought cassia "was" cinnamon!
http://memoriileluisakura.blogspot.com/2010/03/premiuaward.html
Post a Comment