I've been reading the China Study. So far, and I've only finished 3 chapters, it's amazing. Given my family history of cancer and the years of studies they've done in this book, I can say, "you betcha, I'm glad to be a vegetarian."
I do find it amusing though, now, being on the other side of the "new vegetarian" that everyone is in a scramble to find meat replacements.
Don't get me wrong, I use them and quite like most of them. But finally I've learned that meat isn't" what's for dinner". I can cook with or without replacements.
I LOVE my lentil stew, love my chili, my Quinoa and black bean salad. Beans and grains, nuts and seeds, fruits and veggies really do have all the protein we 'need'. (plus all the other good stuff meat doesn't have).
I hope this revelation will cause a shift in our way of thinking as a nation. Maybe now we can stop that disgusting factory farming. There will always be the die hard meat eaters, those that think there is no other way to live. Those that believe that vegetarians must be crazy or weak folks. That's ok, if the demand for meat lessens, the atrocities that happen in these factories will no longer be a necessity to meet the demand.
But, I digress.
I am just very glad I did all the research I did years ago, glad most of my family followed suit as they learned what I learned, and glad that we are all much healthier for it.
This is more like an online diary. Thoughts, ramblings, working out what's going through my head or my life at the moment.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What exactly is Quinoa and how do you fix it?
I think it is a grain?
I am woefully ignorant!!
I'm a sort of veggie person ... at least I try. I do mostly organic veggies ... even my coffee.
My oldest daughter has been a vegetarian for about a year and a half. I totally support her decision, based almost entirely on the factory farming, and the cruelty of hunters! I am always on the lookout for veggie meals for her.
Post a Comment